Friday, December 2, 2011

#WEverb11 - Prompt #1

What is #WEverb11?

From the Website:
#WEverb11 is a set of 31 prompts meant to encourage reflection on the past year (2011) and look forward to the coming year (2012).

The first prompt is

Choose one word.
Encapsulate the year 2011 in one word. Explain why. Imagine it’s one year from today, what would you like the word to be that captures 2012 for you?

Looking back, 2011 was just so damn EXHAUSTING!

I was stretching myself thin and have worn myself out far too many times... but it was necessary.
My parents got sick at the end of 2010, both of them, within 3 months of each other. And both with the same diagnosis: Cancer. Well, crap! My father had to undergo surgery, emergency surgery, chemo and radiation - which made him really sick and is responsible for a lot of health problems he will have for the rest of his life (I was not aware of the really bad side effects cancer treatments can have). My mother had surgery and chemo. Combined with the ongoing fear for my dad's life, it really took a toll on her. Both of them have been in hospital quite some time in 2011, and, obviously, I was there for them. Looking back, I feel like I spend the majority of my time on the highway. I had a job, an apartment, parents in 2 different hospitals 200km away, my parent's house to look after, and a long-distance relationship. Phew, can you say TIME MANAGEMENT?

Luckily, my parents are doing better now. I was able to move to be with my partner this August (even though it is only temporary) and I cherish every moment with him. I learned that life is short, often shorter than you think. I learned that I can produce a strength I did not know I have. I learned that people can rely on me. I learned that I have awesome friends. I learned that I am a survivor.


2012, I hope my word is LIGHTHEARTED.

As I had quite a lot of unexpected, terrible calls this year, I have a problem not to expect a catastrophe everytime the phone rings. I am working hard at regaining my childlike trust in the world and at enjoying the moment. At some point, I feared I had lost my smile.... but it is back.



Smile! Welcome Back =]Image by blentley via Flickr

Enhanced by Zemanta

3 comments:

  1. A beautiful and moving post, Anke. I so wish you a year full of lightheartedness!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this quest as well as you post especially. Like Anna said it's really touching. I totally admire that you are able and willing to see what you learned from this year and that you still can smile. You are one of the strongest people I know!
    However I hope that next year will be better and bring you more actual reasons to lough!

    ReplyDelete